PRAYER: Relationship, Recognition of Ownership and Responsibility
- 2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people who are called by my Name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then…”
Last week we saw that the purpose of prayer is relationship. Doesn’t come cheap, not techniques but a deepening relationship.
We also need to appreciate and recognize there is ownership: “my people who are called by my name…” Servant of the King: God owns His people! (Romans 6:22, “slaves to God”).
- Lord Jesus: Philippians 2:5-11, “Made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant…at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow…every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.”
- 1 Peter 2:9-10, “Chosen People…belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light…now you have received mercy.”
“Called by my name” Isaiah 9:6, ‘He will be called wonderful counselor…’ Matthew 1:21, ‘Give Him the name Jesus’ Philippians 2:10, ‘At the name of Jesus every knee…’
Prayer is about Relationship, Recognition of Ownership but also our Responsibility
- Humility – “Humble themselves” (Micah 6:8) – (Psalm 95:6-7, ‘Worship’)
- Prayer – “and pray and seek my face”.
Brother Lawrence: “The most holy practice, the nearest to daily life, and the most essential for the spiritual life, is the practice of the presence of God, that is to find joy in his divine company and to make it a habit of life, speaking humbly and conversing lovingly with him at all times, every moment, without rule or restriction, above all at times of temptation, distress, dryness, and revulsion, and even of faithlessness and sin.”
The disciples said to Jesus “Lord, teach us to pray!” Confessing that they didn’t know how to pray as they should or wanted. They saw and heard Jesus’ emphasis on prayer in all areas of His life and ministry and noted it was different from other religious leaders. Jesus prayer was constantly in deep communion with His Father. This encouraged and inspired His disciples to pray. Since the Garden of Eden mankind has longed for a relationship with God.
- Repentance – “turn from their wicked ways.” = Change in Actions, Attitudes and Intent. Let`s mean business in our prayer life! (To be continued…)
Your friend and pastor