Prayer is about Relationship
“If my people who are Called by my name…”
- OS Guinness: “Calling is not only a matter of being and doing what we are but also becoming what we are not yet but are called by God to be.”
Child of the King. Created for a purpose! (Exodus3:11: “Who am I?”). People find their identity in money, fashion, work, reputation, church, status, etc. God just doesn’t stick a label on us; as He calls us,we discover our identity in God. When God calls He says that all His creation is created for a purpose.
- 1 Peter 2:9b, “Called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.” –
- Romans8:28:“We know that in all things God works for the good of those who are called according to His purpose.”
- 1 John3:10, “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God.”
Prayer is communion with God. It’s about developing a relationship that is close and deep. We come to God in prayer not because we have got it together or are competent to pray, we come because we need a deepening experience of God. It’s not a case of Eloquence,Ability or Education but fire in your inner being and God as your friend!
- James Montgomery: “Prayer is the soul’s sincere desire, uttered or unexpressed, the motion of a hidden fire that trembles in the breast.”
God wants not only to restore His people to the center of His will but to restore His will to the center of our being. Like today there was a willful departure from His will. Come back to the centre of God`s will for you.
- Romans 12:1-2, “I urge you, brothers, in view of God`s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God–this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God`s will is–His good, pleasing and perfect will.”
- Austin Miles: “I come to the garden alone…”
Where is my Garden? Who is my gardener? Need to come back to loving Him for Himself and not for what He gives! God is personal so everybody can offer prayers to Him but only Christians have the basis for developing real communion with Him. We recognize God as our Creator and Redeemer
- 1 Peter1:18-19 ‘Redeemed not with perishable things but precious blood…’
True prayer is not a program but a process whereby we develop a close relationship with God.
- Leonard Ravenhill: “Prayer is not an argument with God to persuade Him to move things our way, but an exercise by which we are enabled by His Spirit to move our selves His way.”
Prayer is an opportunity to bring our will and life into line with God’s plan and purpose. Demonstrate our trust in God, speak with Him, and develop a growing and dynamic relationship with Him… (To be continued)
Your friend and Pastor