- 2 Timothy 3:16-17: “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God’s way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.”
- 2 Peter 1:20-21: “Above all, you must understand that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophets themselves or because they wanted to prophesy. It was the Holy Spirit who moved the prophets to speak from God.”
I’ve found the Bible to be totally relevant and throughout my life it has been my constant companion. It is a constant witness to the reality of the Living God. It is the Book through which God reveals Himself and it directs us to the One who is God’s final Revelation, I take it on vacation with me. I seek to read and meditate on it every day. I never make a major decision without its counsel. I love to preach from it, learn from it and seek to constantly apply it to my life.
My practice: Read through the Bible on a continuous basis since about 1974. Earlier no real pattern but now a chapter a day. About a decade later, I also began reading on a daily basis about seven psalms and one chapter from Proverbs so that I could read through The Book of Psalms and Proverbs each month.
Note: It is not about how much you read but do we allow the Bible to not only challenge us but change us
- Anon: “A real book is not one that we read, but one that reads us.”
- Daily Bread: George Muller, who was known for his strong faith confided: “The first 3 years after conversion, I neglected the Word of God. Since I began to search it diligently, the blessing has been wonderful. I have read the Bible through one hundred times and always with increasing delight.”
- The Bible is Trustworthy
- Written over a 1600-year span. 40 authors, from all walks of life (directed by God the Holy Spirit) – under different circumstances – for different people – in different languages (Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic: language of the people) yet it is a unity from beginning to end.
- F.F. Bruce: “Any part of the human body can only be properly explained in reference to the whole body. And any part of the Bible can only be explained in reference to the whole bible.”
- Read by more people in more languages than any other book ion the world.
- “Compared with other ancient writings it has more manuscript evidence than any ten others put together.”
It has stood the test of persecution also the test of criticism.
People often do not reject the Bible “because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.”
- What it teaches: 1. Prophesy (especially relating to Jesus Christ). 2. History of nations and people.
Practical for the past, present and future! It has influenced all kinds of people, society, nations, literature, etc.
- The Bible is Revealing (unveiling, uncovering)
God doesn’t want His revealed Word to be obscure! God is communicating who He really is! God has taken the initiative to make Himself known. He is the subject of the Bible in its entirety.
God speaks to us through: Creation, Messengers (Prophets) Our awareness, Christ and the Bible.
- I. Packer: “Other books were given for our information the Bible was given for our transformation.”
- 2. The Bible is Relevant
We can fail to communicate God’s Word as it really is. We can fail to show clearly that not only does the Bible speak to day but that it is completely relevant! Relevant in all issues, including life and death.
This Book reveals that God has a plan and purpose even when we don’t understand. He feels our pain as well as sharing our joys. God is concerned for the whole person. The trouble with trying to communicate God’s heart is that we are so intellectual in our approach, even well researched and completely biblical, but if there is no conviction of its meaning for humanity how they live and die then what are we saying, if anything!
- H. Spurgeon: “Conviction is the best form of eloquence.”
Head knowledge needs to penetrate the heart (the centre of our lives!) The Christian’s inability to communicate the Bible or fail to devote time and energy to studying it doesn’t make it irrelevant! The Bible is relevant because God continues to speak today, continues to change lives and challenges our secular mindset. He challenges the culture as well as society as a whole! Just a few things to consider…
Your friend and Pastor