- 12:2, (New Living Translation) “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.”
We can often be like Jacob stumbling from one crisis to another, failing to deal with the underlying problem. One of Jacob’s problems was deceit (learned from his Mother and uncle Laban) which caused him to be alienated, or at odds with his brother and others. His main problem was that he hadn’t allowed God, by His Spirit, to work deep down in his life. On his way back home (from his uncle Laban) angels came and ministered to him and then God came, (perhaps pre-incarnate Christ in human form) to wrestle with him (Gen. 32:22-32). Now the Lord could have made him submit with one word but He, in His grace, wrestled with him allowing Jacob time to see the obstacles to blessing that existed because he was holding on to his old self. Personal renewal began when he committed himself to move on with God.
- M. Bounds: “Prayer is not simply to get things from God, but to make those things holy which already have been received from Him. It is not merely to get a blessing, but also to be able to give a blessing.”
Barriers and obstacles exist in our lives. Our failure to pray in faith stops us being the person God wants us to be. Prayer is an opportunity to bring our will and life into line with God’s plan and purpose. Demonstrate our trust in God, speak with Him and develop a growing and dynamic relationship with Him.
- Roger F. Campbell: “The prayer of Jabez (1 Chronicles 4:9-10) moved the heart of missionary John Hyde to pray with great faith, expecting answers to his prayers. As a result, he became known as Praying Hyde and the world still feels the impact of his powerful life.
Dr. J. Wilbur Chapman once wrote to a friend, telling of Praying Hyde’s influence on him. He had been holding meetings in England, but the attendance had been disappointingly small. Then he received word that Praying Hyde was going to pray down God’s blessing upon him and his work. As a result of Hyde’s powerful praying, the tide soon turned and the meeting hall became packed with people and many received Christ as their Saviour.
- Chapman said: “Mr. Hyde, I want you to pray for me.” He came to my room, turned the key in the door, dropped to his knees, and waited five minutes without a single syllable coming from him lips. I could hear my own heart thumping, and his beating. I felt hot tears running down my face. I knew I was with God. Then with upturned face, down which the tears were streaming, he said, “O God.” Then for five minutes at least he was still again; and then, when he knew that he was talking with God, there came from the depths of his heart such petitions for me as I had never heard before. I rose from my knees to know what real prayer was.”
May we have such a relationship with God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) that impacts our family, church and nation. May we never underestimate what God can do with us and through us. He is the Almighty God! Nothing is impossible for Him to accomplish. “Lord increase my faith!” “Thank-you Lord for Saving my soul! Thank you Lord for making me Whole! Thank-you Lord for giving to me, Life so abundant so rich so free!”
- What a Wonderful Saviour is Jesus my Lord!
Your friend and pastor