Romans 8:14: “Those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.”
8:15: For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry ‘Abba, Father.’
Wm. Barclay gives us the picture that was in Paul’s mind as he thought about the consequences of adoption:
- The adopted person lost all rights in his old family and gained all the rights of a legitimate son in his new family. In the most binding legal way, he got a new father.
- It followed that he became heir to his new father’s estate. Even if new sons were afterwards born, it did not affect his rights. He was inalienably co-heir with them.
- In law, the old life of the adopted son was completely wiped out; for instance, all debts were canceled. He was regarded as a new person entering into a new life with which the past had nothing to do.
- In the eyes of the law he was absolutely the son of his new father…The adoption ceremony was carried out in the presence of seven witnesses.”
This is what Paul has in mind when he says:
- 16: “The Spirit bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.”
Adopted into God`s family and led by His Spirit. We are not called to be slaves to fear for we have received the Spirit of sonship. There can be no doubt when the Spirit of life witnesses to this reality in our lives and in every circumstance. Rom. 8:28 “In all things…”
- Alan Redpath: “There is nothing—no circumstance, no trouble, no testing—that can ever touch me until, first of all, it has gone past God and past Christ, right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a great purpose, which I may not understand at the moment, but as I refuse to become panicky, as I lift up my eyes to him and accept it as coming from the throne of God for some great purpose of blessing to my own heart, no sorrow will ever disturb me, no trial will ever disarm me, no circumstance will cause me to fret, for I shall rest in the joy of what my Lord is.”
This is God our Father! 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.” (Philips translation – “You are His personal concern.”) We are His children!
What a privilege – What a Blessing!
Your friend and Pastor